Wednesday

More women afraid to go out after dark


http://archive.yorkpress.co.uk/2008/2/26/366475.html

Okay! Okay! So I cannot get enough about this idea of women being afraid of going out after dark. I really feel like this is a problematic issue that is getting worse with time.

I went online and found this newspaper article from the York Post (a newspaper from the UK). Why a newspaper from the UK? Because I wanted to show everyone that this fear that women have is not solely a fear found in North American women. It is a fear that is set in women across the entire world. When reading this article, it states:

ALMOST a third of women
living in North Yorkshire are afraid to
leave
their homes after dark,
new
figures reveal.
The latest results from
North Yorkshire Police's
public
attitude survey show 30 per cent of
the women
who completed the
questionnaire said they felt "fairly or very
unsafe, or do not
go out"
alone
after dark in the county.
That
compares with only 15 per cent
of men,
according to figures from a
report to be heard by North
Yorkshire Police
Authority.


This article really rattled my chains. To think that the percentage of women who are afraid to walk alone at night doubles in comparison to men. It really makes me want to try and spread the word about reclaiming the night. It also makes me question why women are afraid of the dark?

It reminds me of the article we read in my women's studies class titled: Hille Koskela's article, "'Gendered Exclusions': Women's Fear of Violence and Changing Relations to Space".

When reading both of these articles, I am continuously left wondering why women have such a fear set in them when darkness has come. Is it due to the shows we watch on television? Is it due to the numerous horror movies on the shelves? Or is it a common thought or perception within women that predators are more likely to "pounce" in the dark hours, especially on women who are alone?

No comments:

Post a Comment